12.07.2006

Ome-rice!

ome-rice

When I was a little kid I used to make a lot of kimchi fried rice. But when I wanted to make it a little bit more special I would envelop the kimchi fried rice in a thin egg crepe to make ome-rice. Like an omelet but filled with fried rice of your choice. It's awesome!

This particular one that I made used up some leftover omelet filling which consisted of bacon, corn, peas & onion. After frying up some sliced up napa cabbage kimchi in butter I added the omelet filling and some gochujang. Then the rice, some nori powder and sesame oil. Then in a separate pan I cooked an whisked egg into a thin crepe. Then you know the rest. Wrap up that kimchi goodness in the golden egg and you got yourself some fine comfort food.

You can get ome-rice at "boon-shik" Korean restaurants, which are casual eateries that sell both snacky stuffs and other Korean dishes. They provide an extensive menu covering dishes like steamed dumplings, soups, noodles and of course kimchi fried rice and ome-rice.

I like a generous squeeze of ketchup and sriracha on mine. I was a complete ketchup whore when I was wee. But now that I've become a sophisticated adult I now add sriracha. ;)

5 comments:

justinsloe said...

you're still wee, yoony

Anonymous said...

i like mine old school( no sriracha but tons of ketchup). omerice is such a great comfort food!

Gustad said...

its been some times since i have made kimchi fried rice... im going to try this version next! cool stuff!

dealinhoz said...

I love ome-rice. I think it tastes so much better at someone's house vs. getting it outside. It's just one of those comfort foods.

Anonymous said...

that looks really disgusting, sorry